BROOKINGS – The Brookings Fire Department went on three calls Saturday and one last Wednesday involving a malfunctioning oven that had rolls inside it.
The first call on Saturday came at 4:02 p.m. for Twin City Fan, Fire Chief Darrell Hartmann said.
“They had a powder-coating oven that malfunctioned, something overheated, the detector went off. Sprinkler system opened up, was our initial call. Crews on-scene assisted us,” Hartmann said.
“There was really no fire. We worked on shutting down the sprinkler system. Once we knew everything was clear, we left,” he said, adding they cleared the scene at 4:38 p.m.
The second call came at 5:31 p.m.
“Same thing; what was happening, they installed the new (sprinkler) head. They’re in the process of filling the sprinkler system back up, which triggered a water flow sensor. So there’s really no action on our part,” Hartmann said.
At 7:46 p.m. Saturday, the fire department was called to 1221 Breckenridge Lane for a report of smoke filling a structure, he said.
“It was in the living room; no open flames,” Hartmann said. “It was an (air conditioning) unit in the attic area that basically the motor had a meltdown and filled the place with smoke.
“We ensured that it had cooled off and everything. No major work on our part other than figuring out what the issue was,” Hartmann said.
A call earlier last week was a bit of a head-scratcher.
The fire department was called out at 2:52 p.m. Wednesday to 211 Ninth St. for an oven that went into self-cleaning mode with a batch of rolls inside.
“There were some people there and they said they heard the oven click, which means it went into a clean mode,” Hartmann said.
“Of course, heats up and there’s no way of opening the door, short of pulling it out and unplugging the unit,” he said. “We hauled the range unit outside because it was still smoking. We evacuated the smoke and we cleared the scene at 3:13 p.m.”
“Just kind of a fluke,” Hartmann said of the incident.
One thing owners and renters can do to avoid something like that is pay attention to recalls on appliances.
“Told them they may want to look that up, in case that unit did have a problem,” Hartmann said.