Event this week to promote gift shops in Brookings
BROOKINGS — Five Brookings-area cultural organizations are inviting people to shop local at a Gifting for Good gift shop event starting Nov. 16 and continuing through Nov. 18.
The partnership between the Brookings Arts Council, McCrory Gardens, Children’s Museum of South Dakota, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, and the South Dakota Art Museum invites shoppers to check out the unique, one-of-a-kind merchandise each gift shop offers.
“People often don’t think of museums as a place to shop, but actually our gift shops not only have unique, interesting merchandise, but your purchase supports a good cause, too,” said Kerrie Vilhauer, director of marketing at the Children’s Museum of South Dakota.
From books to jewelry, to toys and art, purchases directly support the mission of each organization. Each gift shop has individual specials, and shoppers who stop by four of the five shops in the three days can be entered to win a $20 gift certificate from each organization.
Participating gift shops:
- Brookings Arts Council, 524 Fourth St.: Pop-up holiday store, featuring local artisan items such as paintings, prints, jewelry, pottery, artisan hand-crafted stuffed animals, and more.
- McCrory Gardens, 631 22nd St.: Unique items such as garden flags, rabbit garden sculptures, local honey, and McCrory maple syrup.
- Play Central Toys & Books (located at Children’s Museum of South Dakota), 521 Fourth St.: Hand-selected books, games, plush, puzzles, t-shirts, STEM-related toys, and unique children’s toys. Offering personal shopping to help you select just the right gift.
- South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, 977 11th St.: Locally sourced goods, South Dakota made items, and more. Capturing the spirit of South Dakota in every gift.
- South Dakota Art Museum, 1036 Medary Ave.: Unique gifts from South Dakota and beyond. Original paintings, pottery, art glass, home decor, and more.