BROOKINGS – The Brookings Human Rights Commission is now accepting nominations for the Youth Award and the Youth Ally Award.
Nominations must be received by 5 p.m. Wednesday, July 10.
The Youth Award is presented by the Human Rights Commission to the individual or group of local youth that promote and/or contribute to Human Rights in the Brookings area and abroad. Activities the Commission is aware of that would be worthy of a Youth Award include, but are not limited to:
• Collecting money for a human rights related organization/cause
• Organizing a human rights related activity
• Collecting food/clothing/personal hygiene items for local or national organizations
Since the Human Rights Commission hopes to recognize the creativity and uniqueness of our youth, it asks students not be nominated for participation in class activities or pre-organized events. However, any additional activity that comes as a result of a class activity or pre-organized event would be a welcome nomination.
To keep the awards timely, the commission also asks nominations be limited to events that have occurred since June 2018. If nominating youth for participation in connection with a service agency, a letter on agency letterhead, dated and signed by the director, must accompany the nomination form.
Youth Ally Award
The Brookings Human Rights Commission Youth Ally Award recognizes an adult who has inspired local youth to become involved in human rights activities and initiatives, either locally or abroad. The Youth Ally Award is an award where youth in the community nominate an adult for special recognition.
The commission says this is a great opportunity to showcase youth along with their allies, and they do not want to see nominees who they are unable to recognize due to no fault of their own. In reviewing the nomination form, note two important things:
• Parent and/or guardian contact information is required for all Youth Awards. It is necessary for the commission to send notice to the youth and their parent/guardian. Nominations which do not supply this information will be considered incomplete and sent back to the nominator as such.
• Late applications will not be accepted. Nominations received after the July 10 deadline will be considered for the 2020 Youth Awards.
To obtain a nomination application, go to www.cityofbrookings.org or contact the Brookings City Clerk’s Office, Brookings City & County Government Center, 520 Third St., Suite 230, 692-6281, [email protected]
All nominations will be considered and reviewed by the Brookings Human Rights Commission. The 2019 Youth Award and Youth Ally Award recipients will be recognized at a combined award event Sept. 26 at the McCrory Gardens Visitors Center.