BROOKINGS – Like many events over the past nine months, pesticide applicator training will look a bit different in 2021.
According to Amanda Bachmann, SDSU Extension pesticide education and urban entomology field specialist, current commercial pesticide applicator license holders have two ways to update their certification:
• Take the online recertification course by registering with the South Dakota Department of Agriculture website. Applicators will need an email address that is unique to them in order to participate in the Training House course.
• Re-take the exams for the categories they need to update. Most Extension offices that previously provided pesticide testing are open, but please call ahead to make a testing appointment as space may be limited. A list of offices providing exams and their contact information can be found on the South Dakota Department of Ag website.
Commercial applicators that are not sure of their license number, categories or expiration date can search for their information using the SDDA commercial applicator database.
Private applicators (new and existing) also have more than one way to obtain or update their certification in 2021. They can:
• Take the online certification course by registering with SDSU Extension. Applicators will need an email address that is unique to them in order to participate in the Training House course.
• Take the online private applicator exam via SDDA
• Attend the PAT Zoom March 26, as part of the Crop Hour Regulatory Information and Pesticide Education Week.
Private applicators that are not sure of their certification number or expiration date can search for their information using the SDDA private applicator database.