One person dies after ingesting hand sanitizer with methanol


SIOUX FALLS (AP) – South Dakota health officials reported Thursday that one person has died of methanol poisoning after ingesting hand sanitizer containing methanol.

State epidemiologist Josh Clayton said two other people are hospitalized with methanol poisoning.

The Food and Drug Administration has warned people not to use certain alcohol-based hand sanitizers due to the dangerous presence of methanol, or wood alcohol. It is often used to create fuel and can be toxic when absorbed through the skin. It's life-threatening when ingested.

“Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient in hand sanitizer and must not be used due to its toxic effects,” Clayton said.

Advertisement

More In State News