Sioux Valley Energy awarded 26 graduating high school seniors $19,500 in scholarships this year. The majority of scholarship funds came from Sioux Valley Energy’s Operation Roundup program, with additional funds from Basin Electric Power Cooperative, L&O Power Cooperative, and the Rodney Park Memorial Scholarship. More than 120 young people applied for the scholarships.
“Applications were judged on the basis of grades, work experience, school activities, volunteer community service and an essay question,” said Tim McCarthy, CEO/general manager. “Sioux Valley Energy is proud to help these students reach their future goals through this scholarship program.”
Sioux Valley Energy, a Touchstone Energy Cooperative, is a member-owned electric utility, providing reliable electric service at cost-based rates to approximately 27,000 homes, farms, businesses, and industries in a seven-county area of east-central South Dakota and southwest Minnesota.
Recipients from the area are:
Districts No. 1 and 2 (Brookings County)
• Grant Sternhagen – Brookings High School ($1,000 – Basin Electric Scholarship)
• Lydia Ebbers – Estelline High School ($500)
District No. 3 (Moody County)
• Olivia Baumberger – Colman-Egan High School ($1,000)
• Amanda Lee – Colman-Egan High School ($750)
• Gage Gullickson – Flandreau High School ($750)
District No. 4 (Lake County)
• Chloe Hass – Chester High School ($750)