BFD responds to double crash, two false alarms

BROOKINGS – The Brookings Fire Department had a busy weekend with three calls. 

More details have been released about a double crash on Highway 14 on Saturday.

The Fire Department was called to the original accident at 1:01 p.m. near 475th Avenue, Fire Chief Darrell Hartmann said. 

“We had two SUVs that had struck passenger side to passenger side, which is odd,” he said. 

The initial sight of the vehicles had them fearing the worst.

“When we arrived on scene, the whole front passenger side – wheel and tire assembly, everything – were ripped off both vehicles,” Hartmann said.

They soon found one driver walking around, but there was still work to be done.

“We had a youth that was trapped on the passenger side of the one SUV. Upon extricating him, he actually walked to the ambulance, so no serious injuries,” Hartmann reported.

It wasn’t over, though.

“As we were wrapping that up, we had a report from one of our units helping divert traffic. A semi was slowing down, and a vehicle approached from the rear and lost control and struck the rear of the semi,” Hartmann said.

The Brookings County Sheriff’s Office reported the driver of the car, Gary Alan Marshall, 64, of Rochester, New York, was transported to the Brookings hospital by Brookings Ambulance with unknown injuries. He was cited for overdriving the road conditions.

The fire department cleared the scene at 3:42 p.m.

On Sunday, the fire department was called at 11:41 a.m. to East Side Commons, 722 22nd Ave. S., for an alarm going off, Hartmann said.

Crews entered the building and found the panel, which indicated which store was affected, then they needed to wait for a keyholder so they could search the area.

“Nothing found. We reset the panel and we left at 12:06 p.m.,” Hartmann said.

On Monday, the fire department was called out at 5:50 a.m. to 1250 Windsor Drive to the Pheasant Run Apartments for a fire activation from the panel, Hartmann said.

“We arrived on scene; nothing apparent. Gained access to the building; panel showed nothing, no alarms going off,” Hartmann said.

“We cancelled and released everyone at 6:04 a.m.” he added.

Contact Jodelle Greiner at [email protected].