BROOKINGS — A fire at Ron’s Auto Repair late Monday afternoon was quickly extinguished by the Brookings Fire Department.
No injuries were reported in the incident at 312 Third Ave., which occurred at 3:06 p.m. According to news release from the fire department, the fire was burning in the ceiling/floor assembly of the building, which led to an “aggressive interior attack on both levels of the structure” within 10 minutes of firefighters being dispatched.
Fire Chief Pete Bolzer wrote there was minimal damage to the repair shop and the vacant apartments above it, as the fire was contained to the ceiling/floor assembly. No official cause has been determined, he added, but old electrical wiring is suspected.
Five fire trucks and 23 firefighters were on the scene for 1.5 hours. Other responding agencies were the Brookings Police Department and Brookings Ambulance.